Misconceptions

Something has been bothering me for a few days now, and I'd like to get it out in writing. While at the Easter Egg Hunt there was another woman with a small dog, and of course Jace crawled right to the dog. She picked up her pup saying she thought he would be fine, but small dogs have a higher likelihood to snap at a baby. She then continued her thought by saying that the big ones are the ones you don't have to worry about, well except for Dobermans and Pit Bulls.
Wait.
Yep, yet another misguided person is convinced that a Pit Bull is more likely to rip your hand off than let you pet it. Now, when the dog has been brought up and trained to be a fighting dog, then yes. Just like any other breed of dog that is mistreated and forced to fight. But Pit Bulls actually have an AMAZING temperament.
How do I know this?

I have one.
Luna is an almost six month old Pit Bull and Boxer mix. And she is a lover.
Allow me a few examples:
Luna and Jace play tug of war. This is usually how it goes: Luna has a toy that squeaks and is playing with it. Jace gets interested and crawls over, grabbing a part of the toy while it's in her mouth. She gently tries to tug it away, succeeds, and sits down about two feet away. Jace crawls back over and the process starts again. Never does she growl at him or get rough, and Jace laughs as she tries to pull the toy back.


Luna enjoys a good doggy nap in the sunshine. Loves it actually. So in the afternoon she'll find a good spot where the sun is coming in the window and plop down. Jace will crawl on top of her, sit on her, pet and drum on her, and she is just fine. If she gets really annoyed, she stands up and walks away.

Therefore it bothers me greatly that there is so much hatred toward this sweet breed of dog. And that the hatred comes from ignorance. A little simple education goes a long way! A dog is an animal, so yes, they cannot be 100% predictable. And a bigger dog does mean that they are physically capable of producing more injury. But for someone to think that Luna is a danger just because she is part Pit Bull? That is unacceptable to me. I would trust Luna with Jace more quickly than I would trust some people with him. I mean, a human from Berea commits a crime, so therefore all Berean's are bad? I don't think so.

I know I am only one person, but I hope very much to help tear down this awful stereotype.




Comments

Popular Posts