More than Suitcases

Since the new year purging and simplification and decluttering has begun, I've seen countless friends share the post above.



I can't disagree with it: if you do have suitcases you're getting rid of, please take them to your local foster care agency! Kids being moved should have a respectful way to transport the belongings they choose to take to either a kinship or foster placement.

However:

THERE IS MUCH MORE TO BE DONE THAN DONATING A SUITCASE

I've been a licensed foster parent for 18 months, and in that time have learned some very difficult truths. The most striking to me, at this point, has been that what children services is, is a law following, law oriented organization. Some of the laws surrounding child welfare nationally and in the state of Ohio are outdated.

In June, I began a petition to change one piece: the kinship preference. With the help of friends and other foster parents, the signatures reached 1,000.

Then the local news picked up our story, skyrocketing the number. I sat with my local state representative in September and had a very productive conversation about why this change would not only be allow for best interest of the child (hello every study ever done saying children need STABILITY), but that with the crisis of needing more foster parents, this law gives these caretakers some rights. The lack of any say scares many away from being foster parents, and let me tell you, feeling utterly powerless is not for the faint of heart.

Yet, now in January, I have not been able to get any update on how this research has gone or if it will be taken for a vote. I've had messages and comments from strangers who hate what I'm asking for and accusing me of being a child-stealer.

I am one person, one voice, one experience trying my hardest to make changes in a system that I've only begun to learn the last year. One voice speaking in a world of loud opinions and louder keyboard strokes. This is why I say there is more that needs done.

If you felt your heart pull thinking about these kids with their belongings in trash bags, seek out your local foster parents. Ask about their experience and what they wish would be changed. Right now Ohio has developed advisory councils to reform children services, and when these changes are discussed take the time to reach out to your local representative and senator to let them know that the children and laws surrounding them matter to you.


Comments

Popular Posts