Normalization Begins at Home

There's a movement to "normalize breastfeeding."

Personally, I don't think we should need a movement, but I remember the looks and comments I got when nursing Jace even under a cover, so, I accept that we aren't there yet.

But an interesting point came up in a conversation the other day.
"Are you going to let Jace see you breastfeed?"

Um, of course?

I get the question a bit though, he'll be 8 years old when Saige arrives and is quickly reaching the point where his interest in the human body may take on notes of sexuality. Where he is aware there are differences physically between boys and girls. Where he has held hands with and had a "girlfriend" for the last year.

But I still don't hesitate because to me, it's much more important that Jace understand that our bodies serve a purpose. That feeding babies is natural, normal, and is something that one day I can only hope he will be supportive of his wife doing for their children if he ever chooses to have a family.

And on a practical note: what I remember from nursing Jace (not exclusively) for his first nine months, is that it sometimes felt like a full time job. Especially when we first came home from the hospital. I cannot fathom excusing myself to another room or searching out the nursing cover or a blanket every two hours.

Jace did not love being covered up while eating, and I hated the separation. Part of the joy of breastfeeding for me was watching his little eyes and face and feeling connected with him: feeling that my body had grown him, had brought him into the world, and was now nourishing him so he could grow.

I refuse to start teaching at home that it is something that should be done in secret or that the human body is a "dirty" thing: because I want him to eventually have healthy physical relationships and to be a supportive father. I want to set the example that a woman's body is strong and capable of so much.




Comments

Popular Posts