Appreciating Your Surroundings

This is my second week working with Berea Tourism, and I like my co-workers, enjoy the job, and am adjusting to the hours and scheduling. But what I am enjoying most about my job is how it is making me appreciate my little town.
At age 18, upon arriving in Berea, it was my college town. It had a Wal*Mart within walking distance and that's all I really needed to know. Being from Northern Ohio, I believed some of the Kentucky stereotypes, and didn't have much desire to interact with the world outside of the college campus. Obviously, over the last five years that has drastically changed, but I don't think I really appreciated the uniqueness of this small town and the beauty of the state until I began learning more about it and talking to others about what to see and do in Berea.
See, I spend nearly eight hours a day telling travelers and tourists about what makes Berea unique. I get to talk about our studio artists down in Old Town, the college and it's tuition-free approach for low-income students, and the plethora of events going on across the state at any given time. I've learned so much in my short time working for tourism and it's made me determined to take advantage of the opportunities that come with living in a small artist town.
So today I made a "Fall To-Do List" for my small family to enjoy. Here is a sampling:
Visit Flat Lick Falls
Hot Air Balloon Glow
Spoonbread Festival
Glass Blowing Class with Michelle Weston

All of these events/places are so close to us, and I want make the effort to go out and appreciate them! Who knows, maybe I'll stumble upon a new artistic niche (since so far writing is my only one!).

xoxo,
Camille

Comments

Popular Posts