Book Review: Proof of Heaven

I don't read nearly as much as I would like to. Honestly, I barely have time to post a blog now and again or write in my poor neglected journal. I do try to carve out the time to enjoy a book, but when schedule's get hectic, reading for pleasure is the first thing to go!

Which is one more reason I'm lucky to have my new job. I get a mandatory three breaks each day, and I have chosen to use that time to read. This past week I managed to finish a book I've been wanting to read for months now, called Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander. I'm not a super scientific person, but the chance to read a neurosurgeon's experience into the afterlife just seemed too important to pass up.
First, it is a little self-indulgent. The author really is telling his experience, and his own life story. It is a cross between an autobiography and the account of this experience. But it is still well worth the time, in my opinion. Personally, I believe in heaven, but the author had a more scientific point of view until his brain stopped functioning and he experienced what happens beyond earthly life.
What was really interesting to me was that Alexander clearly could not find adequate words to describe his experience. Anyone that writes can tell you that there are moments you just cannot find the right word to capture the emotions and importance of the message you are trying to convey, but I did appreciate Alexander's effort.
To me, the most important part of the book was the message that there is nothing you can do to separate yourself from the Creator and that you are loved. You are loved unconditionally on earth and beyond. It's a message we hear in church, but if you take the time to think about it, it's a beautiful reassurance in life, and it helps me to live more optimistically and show more compassion.

xoxo,
Camille

Comments

Popular Posts