Thinking Ahead

I stumbled across a blog post recently, about the general population's reaction to a "big family" (read: more than 2 kids). I was interested, and when I shared it a couple friends mentioned that it's accurate. 

People actually look at multiple kids and say things like, "You know how that happens, right?" to the parents.

Most public places seem to consider a family of more than four an inconvenience. 

I suppose it's good that I know this now, because 
I want a big family.

When I get pregnant again, and then hopefully again, it isn't going to be an accident. It won't be because I don't understand birth control or that I'm irresponsible. 

It's because I treasure my son, and I know that I am meant to be a mom to more than just him. 

And he is meant to be a big brother.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm really not. Jace tries to leave me for bigger families. There are two at church he particularly goes for: one family is 2 boys and a girl, the other is 2 boys and 2 girls. He tries to disappear from my side to sneak in with their families, and it is absolutely because of the other little ones close to his age. 

Now, I'm not foolish enough to think that he won't change a bit when he gets a sibling that he has to be around all the time. And that he must share his toys with. 

But Jace will be a great big brother to his future siblings, and when Nathan and I pass away he will not be left alone to deal with the loss, he will have support in his siblings and hopefully in his own wife and little ones. 

I suppose I better start preparing my responses to the rude inquiries now because whether by giving birth or adopting, I plan to become the mother of a "big" family. I intend to embrace the chaos, the love, the inconvenience, and joy that will inevitably come my way. And I will accept every snarky comment that I will receive as well, because no matter what the current population's view of too many kids is, only I can determine what is too many for me. 


Comments

Popular Posts