Making a Marriage Binder

I love organization.
I also love accountability, responsibility, set dates, and clear expectations.
It works in life, and in marriage as well.

Nathan and I began working on our marriage the day we said "I do" (almost 3 years ago, how crazy is that?) and will continue working on it every day until death do us part (we are taking those vows very seriously).

But sometimes, we misunderstand.
And sometimes, we don't communicate well.

To try to avoid some of those times we decided to sit down and write out what we each really wanted in our marriage, by way of a marriage contract.
Literally, I got the idea from The Big Bang Theory with Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler's Relationship Agreement.

Though ours is not a 31 page document like theirs, it covers all aspects we thought were pertinent in our relationship.

I Responsibilities
II Physical Affection
III Verbal Affection
IV Date Nights
V Anniversaries
VI Spousal Neglect
VII Spousal Loyalty
VIII Broken Contract Protocol
IX Amending the Contract
X Contract Check In
XI Encouraged Ways to Show Love
XII Fighting

Once it was written I wanted a way to easily access it as well as keep other pertinent information, which led me to the marriage binder. Right now it is merely four sections:

1.) The Marriage Contract
2.) Date Night Inspiration
3.) Marriage Bucket List
4.) Accountability

The date night inspiration has pages of date night ideas other than dinner and a movie (or pizza and a redbox) that include a list of required items, and some even include a menu so that it's easy for Nathan to surprise me as well.
And, in our contract, we agreed to sit down once a month to touch base with how we believe we've been over the past month, so accountability is simply a way to address any issues.

I hope that as time goes on we will find new things to add to our binder, but for now these documents promise designated date nights and continued work on our relationship.




Comments

Popular Posts