Express Kidnapping? [October Learning]

October is over! What a crazy quick month, for me mostly because the first three weeks of it were spent in foster care training, and then to end it we wrapped up with Halloween festivities.

1.) Express Kidnapping

I went to a risk management seminar for work (travel involves risk, who knew?). There are different types of kidnapping, and an express kidnapping is when you get kidnapped, taken to different ATM's to withdraw cash, and then are dropped off somewhere naked without your possessions.

2.) Two Reactions to Foster Care

When we tell people we are pursuing our foster care license there are only two reactions we get:

- That's so good/noble/awesome. You'll be great foster parents, any kid would be lucky to have you in their life!
- There's good money to be made in that!

Yeah, you can guess which reaction makes me a little angry. Because obviously, the only reason to open your home to a child is to be compensated for it right? And kids don't cost money, especially little ones, they don't outgrow all their clothes every three months and require diapers and wipes and formula and baby food. But hey, it's one way for me to be able to see who will be there and supportive as we go through this.



3.) Not every child has books

I volunteered to be Jace's class reader, meaning I'll go in when I can and read to the kids two at a time. What I didn't realize was that some of his kindergarten classmates are never read to. Some had to have books sent home to do the book report pumpkin project because they have no books in their home. And it broke my heart because one of my favorite things to do with Jace is reading to him and going to the library to pick out new books.


2017 Goals Update:

I laid out goals for myself this year, and what better time to check in with them then my monthly learning post? Here's where things stand currently.

1.) Read 50 books!

Current Status: Only one more book until I've reached my goal!



2.) Meditate daily

Current Status: No meditation this month.

3.) Maintain Blog

Current Status: Post number 6 of the month, another successful month in the life of this blogger.

4.) Write!

Current Status: I opened back up my old journal and began writing again, but did not write anything to submit for publication this month.

Comments

Popular Posts