When I Stopped Talking to My Best Friend


A friendship ended a few months ago. Over a boy, some miscommunication, and honestly I believe just some growing apart.

But interestingly, when that happened, other things in my life began to change.

Usually at work, I texted/messaged her throughout the day. Letting her know the little day to day details. But when I didn't have her to talk to anymore, I started connecting more with my coworkers and my husband. Instead of the hours of energy invested in those conversations, that energy moved to finding and building new relationships with others.

And it had an extremely positive impact on my life. I started going out for lunches with my coworkers on a semi-regular basis, learning more about their lives enjoying spending time with them, making working with them more joyous.

Not having her to make plans with, which honestly had happened long before the friendship ended, changed some of my habits in my personal time as well.

I didn't get to meet up for happy hour any more, or invite her along on outings, but I was then prompted to start making plans with others and to be more content doing things just me and Jace.
I started texting my mom more regularly, keeping up with what was happening with her and my dad in Florida. And I pushed myself out of my comfort zone by beginning to teach a dance class every week. I took the first steps to becoming a foster parent. I became an official member of my church, rather than just an attender and began planning events for other mom friends and kiddos.



It's amazing the changes that one person can make in your life, negative or positive. This was not a bad person, I genuinely still wish her nothing but the best in life, but it's been shown that you become like the people you spend the most time with, and I want to aspire to more.

I want to be optimistic, not stuck in a rut of complaints about work and relationship drama. I want to be a social justice warrior, a person who teaches her son what is right, and above all someone that puts my family first.





Comments

Popular Posts